Written and shared by my friend Tina who also has a child with RTS.
I have felt your tears, falling on my face.
Someone else might think they are tears of sadness, because of what I can't do.
I KNOW DIFFERENT.
I know those tears pour from your heart out of gratitude for me, because of what I CAN do : I can love everyone in the purest form possible. Unconditionally. I can be judged, but will never judge in return.
I know different because I feel, in your hugs and kisses, that I'm perfect just the way I am.
I have seen you hang your head down in shame, when we go out on adventures.
Someone else might think you are ashamed of having a child like me.
I KNOW DIFFERENT.
I know you are ashamed of the grown-ups who ignore me, yet talk happily to all the other children. The grown-ups who won't look you in the eye, but stare at me, when they think you don't see. I know different because I've seen the many, many more times you have raised your head up high, with pride, because I'm yours. : )
I have heard you whispering desperate prayers at night. Someone else might think you are asking God to make me a typical kid.
I KNOW DIFFERENT.
I know you are thanking Him that I got to be here, with you, for another day- exactly how I am. I know different because I have heard you ask me never to leave you. And I have heard you cheer for me, every single day of my life- you tell me I don't need to be typical to be amazing, I just need to be here.
I know you have a big job, taking care of me.
I know your body hurts, because I'm getting so big.
I know that more than anything, you want to hear me say your name.
And I know you worry that you aren't good enough, and that you will fail me.
BUT I KNOW DIFFERENT MOMMY.....
I know that even on your worst days, you will always be enough for me, and I will always love you more than you know
Friday, September 9, 2011
10 Things my Autistic kids wished you knew
1. I’m sorry I have fits but I’m not a spoiled brat. I’m just so much younger on the inside then I am on the outside.
2. I’m easily overwhelmed because I see and hear everything. I hear the lights hum and clock tick. Everything is so loud it makes my head hurt all the time and my eyes hurt from all the bright lights.
3. I’m not stupid, I’m actually very smart. I just don’t learn the way you want me to. Please learn about Autism so you know how to help me better understand what you are trying to teach.
4. Please don’t be mad at mommy and daddy because we don’t come over for holidays or birthdays. They really want to go but I don’t do well at another person’s house. It’s too overwhelming for me and they know that. They don’t go because they love me, NOT because they don’t like you.
5. Please have patience with me. I try really hard to make good decisions but I can be very impulsive at times.
6. Yes, I have Autism but that doesn’t mean I’m less of a person because of it. If anything, I’m actually more of a person in spite of it.
7. My house might be messy sometimes. It’s because my mommy and daddy spend all their time trying to find new ways to help me or teach my brother to talk..
8. Just because I can’t talk doesn’t mean I don’t understand what you are saying. My feelings can be hurt just like yours.
9. I wish my mommy and daddy knew how much I love them. I have a really hard time with emotions and I don’t always like to be touched. But I love them more than anything in the world, even more then my Lego’s.
10. I know I can be frustrating but don’t tell me I won’t amount to anything because I have Autism. If you love and support me I WILL do great things in my life in spite of my challenges.
Saturday, July 16, 2011
Today was a big day for fans of Angry Birds.
Nathan's Birthday edition was released!
In the last year Angry birds has grown in popularity, seems like everyone you talk to plays it and Nathan has been playing it since May 2010, six months after it was first introduced as an application for the apple Ipod.
With the ever growing popularity among kids, it still remains difficult to find appropriate birthday party decorations, loot bags and prizes with an Angry Birds theme. So I put my creative hat on and did my best to make it an Angry bird theme.
The birthday invite was simple and to the point.
We added a few personal details to the image but kept it suttle.
(Nathan's Birthday is the score and we added a cloud with the number five)
The Loot Bags
We kept to a bird theme-
So all our guest received a bird feeder filled with bird seeds along with a Loot bag.
Here Alyssa was helping me prepare them all.
The finished product shown here by Alyssa
I also wanted to do something that was a little bit more Angry Bird like so I also made cute little Loot bags for a few other little goodies.
I did a white bird loot bag
and a blue bird loot bag
I wrapped up the bird feeders in red tissue paper and paired them up with a loot bag and balloon. I then hung all of them on the banister and the treats doubled up as a decorative accent. Pretty smart huh?
Our Grabber was in shock....
oohhhh how I wish I could have known what he was thinking right at that moment.
Just look at his face.
We all helped in blowing the candle out
Jack was sleeping soundly in his bed so was not around for the picture
We had a real live action game set up. We had a sling shot and the birds. This was so much fun and I think the best part of the birthday party.
Kids and parents enjoyed it alike and Nathan really enjoyed it. He laughed and giggled a lot.
Here is the game set up
Here's the kids playing the real live action game
Friends and Presents
We had family, close family friends and friends from school join us today. We had so much fun and Nathan LOVED his presents. Thanks to all of you who came and helped make Nathan's Angry Bird Birthday the best ever.