Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tuned in with Nature!


Six weeks ago, Sean and I purchased a huge 10 man tent with the intent of doing some family camping trips over the summer. We booked three separate sites over the summer and the first three day trip was this past weekend.

I had a lot of anxiety and excitement attached to this event. Our Grabber didn't really know what to make of the tent when we set it up, so you can just imagine what it might be like to ask him to sleep in the tent. On the other hand, if all goes well then it's all very exciting because it's the start of a new adventure for our family.

So many people told me that I was brave for camping with young children. I really don't understand whats so brave about it. It's not like I'm out there fighting off bears and hunting for food. It's simply camping...and yes camping is a lot of work.... but it's also a lot of fun, the key for me was just to let go... don't sweat the small stuff and just go with it.

To start off our very first camping adventure with the Grabber our plan was to stay close to home. That's exactly what we did, stayed close to home, in fact 8 minutes from home... We camped at Goldstream Provincial Park. We got away without going to far... it was indeed a perfect spot for a perfect weekend.

This was our campsite


I cannot emphasize how impressed and blown away I am with Nathan. On a daily basis, I find myself observing Nathan from the outside. Never quite being able to connect with him on the same level. This weekend was different. Nathan was tuned in. He is a nature kid. He was aware of everything around him and smiled and laughed a lot. I've never seen him so happy. His eyes told me so much about what he was feeling. It was amazing!!

Our weekend was filled with activities. We hiked....

and played


and had so much fun


then we found this trail...
which led us to these stairs


Here is the view of the stairs from the bottom.
It was a workout!

and as we got lower down this is what we saw.

a beautiful waterfall


My brother-in-law Mike joined us on our camping trip.
He takes amazing photos.

Our family photo by the waterfall

Poor Grabber, his legs quit working after the stair climb back to camp!
NO energy left at all... He's asleep...

We had cuddles by the fire.


Played with our favorite toys

Played ball




Took a nap

Cheering on

while Dad and Uncle Mike play badminton

We played frisbee


and had excellent coaches
teaching us

We played inside


and outside the tent


We ate pancakes- YUM !


Made S'mores!

We had a great time!



3 comments:

  1. Christine EinarssonJune 14, 2011 at 2:10 AM

    As always your pictures are just beautiful and fun to look at. Camping is so much fun but sadly not something you do often here in Iceland. Great to see how much fun you guys had and I look forward seeing more of your camping trips this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hooo! I'm sooo glad there's another camping family out there. I know you will see Nathan blossom from these...Natalie is definitely another child when we're camping too. I'm so glad the first trip went well...we'll be seeing more of your pictures and trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you really had a good time. The waterfall looked amazing, those stairs looked like a real workout. Loved all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete