Sunday, October 11, 2009

September

ALYSSA

For years I've been hearing from good friends who have school aged children just how crazy September is but I never got it, until this year.
This year, Alyssa started Kindergarden. Kindergarden!!! Can you believe it? That means I'm a school aged parent now! It was quite the experience. I thought that on the first day of school you just sent your child to school and the schedule started as normal from there.... but no that would be much too simple.
Let me explain: September 8th was the first day of school for children that have already attended school the previous year. New kindergarden kids, got one hour either on the Thursday or Friday to introduce them to their new teacher and surroundings. There are many kids who have never attended daycares and or preschool so the entire experience to them is very scary. It hadn't occurred to me because Alyssa has done both daycare and preschool and so it's no surprise to us that she settled in with no issues. The actual first day of school wasn't till the following week. So Alyssa ended up going on the Thursday. When Alyssa got to school there were numerous children in her class who were crying and moms that were tearing up ( I know I would have been one of them had I been the one dropping her off- so thanks Sean for going in my place). When Alyssa got to the classroom she looked around and walk up to the person who most clearly was her teacher and this is the conversation that took place:

Alyssa: "where's my cubby?"
Teacher: "your cousin?"
Alyssa: Holding her back pack up a little higher as to say these things I'm holding. "to put my backpack in ?"
Teacher shows her where her cubby is.
Alyssa: " Oh and a another thing... what's the spanich word for cat?"
Teacher: " well I'm not sure because I don't speak spanish.. This is a french classroom, so I can teach you the french word for cat. Would you like to know how to say cat in french?"
Alyssa: "yes"
Teacher: " Chat"

and there was the start of the student/ teacher bond. Alyssa loves Mlle . Freemans class. She's learnt a lot already and is constantly singing away in French. It's so neat to see her develop and learn. I love it. Here she is leaving the house with her new backpack. Doesn't she look so proud? You can click on any of the pictures to get a better look.




Along with the start of school was the start of swimming lessons. Alyssa has done fantastic. She's really been enjoying her lessons and has worked really hard. Here she is with her classmates of her last day of swimming lessons. Here's what her swim teacher had to say:

Great job Alyssa!! Keep up the awesome swimming. Don't forget to keep your legs super straight and keep them moving fast and little!! Keep up the awesome swimming!
She passed her level and is now moving on to Red Snapper

Way to go Kiddo!
We are so proud of you!



This was just a cute moment where she wanted to take a picture of herself and her ponies. She hit the timer on the camera and ran over to the couch. I just thought it was cute and wanted to share with you.


Alyssa on a Saturday night all cuddled up in mom and dad's bed watching a show before bed. If you haven't noticed by now... We are indeed an apple family!

NATHAN

What's this grabber been up to? Well he has discovered ketchup chips? Really. This kid is all about things that are salty. Don't even try sweets they will get rejected right away. Ketchup though is at the top of the list, he enjoys the taste enough to lick and relick the bowl and get the seasoning all over his face and his fingers.
If I write a letter to Heinz explaining that my son has a serious aversion to food but that ketchup is the only thing he eats, do you think that they would send me a lifetime supply of free ketchup?
He's really into it. Look at him. He spent at least 20 minutes playing and touching and licking this bowl. He's never spent that long before.
Is there more?
mhhmmmmmmmmm... ketchup chips

Nathan has been developing more each day. Here are some of his accomplishments:

- Removing his own socks
- Removing his top
- Climbing on park structures a lot more with the help of mom
- Saying : mum mum a lot more lately.
- Going to his room and looking at books by himself. turning the pages and playing with the sound buttons all by himself. At times he will be in there for 20 minutes at a time.
- Climbing up and down the stairs a lot more.
- Being more communicative (non-verbal) in his needs. Takes his bunny bear and soother and goes to his crib and ask to go in when he is tired or has a mini freak out if you change the show on TV and he wants to watch it.
- He recognizes his surroundings. Laughs and giggles in the morning during the commute down twisty roads. Knows the way to the little park up the road. Will easily lead the way when we go for walks.

I thought I would end this post with the cuteness of our little Grabber!


He is after all such a happy boy!


5 comments:

  1. What great pictures! Nathan is sure cute...don't tell him ketchup has a lot of sugar in it (at least in the US). And congrats to Alyssa for settling in so nicely. What fun she gets to learn French the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I'm always writing to companies telling them if I love their product or what. Years ago, I wrote to Pepsi Co. for a school project and they sent me a free 6 pack in the mail. =) I did the same with Huggies diapers (along with a picture of 3 kids all wearing huggies) and they sent me $6 in coupons. I'm all about getting coupons and free products! You should try it, you never know what they may offer you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Thanks for taking the time to post such super pictures. BUT...it just made me miss you more!!!

    Love you
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading about Nathan and Alyssa. They are both so beautiful. And Alyssa's outfit she wore to school was precious. Noah likes ketchup too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter is BEAUTIFUL! I have never seen a picture of her before. I'm so glad that the first day of Kinder was not traumatic for her. That's a win for you and a win for her!

    Yahoo for licking the ketchup bowl! There are lots of good things in ketchup. What a cute little guy. It sounds like he is keeping you busy.

    Great to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete