Saturday, December 6, 2008

Since Tuesday

Let me begin by saying how therapeutic this blogging thing really is. I wish I had discovered it sooner. I'm very glad I'm doing it.

Thursday Evening, Alyssa finished her swimming lessons. Her swimming instructor stated that she loves the water. Her bubbles are huge and she's very relaxed in her back glide. With a bit more practice in Orange Jellyfish, Alyssa will move up to the next level. We'll sign her up in the new year.



So Wednesday morning, Carolyn came over to meet with me. She is Nathan's OT.  YEAH!!! We finally have an OT and although I don't want to get too excited she has given me a sign that there is light at the end of the tunnel. She was amazed at how advanced Nathan was. I didn't understand because all along I'm thinking he's not even getting purees or anything food related near his mouth. He just has no interest. I put food on his tray and he picks it up and throws it on the floor. He won't even attempt to put in his mouth.  Without an OT on board I felt like it was a loss cause. I guess we mothers DO have natural instincs and I've been plugging along doing things that have gotten him more ready to eat than I thought. YEAH me! Anyway, Nathan's OT is really excited about working with him and it shows. I explained some of my frustrations and she listened. She's asked if Alyssa could be part of the therapy sessions and help Nathan in ways that only children can. "FABULOUS" I said.  Carolyn is very excited and has requested to work with Nathan weekly.  FINALLY, we are going to get the help we've wanted.  
On Thursday... Carolyn went to see Nathan at his daycare. Our little grabber was very receptive to her and played well. Her focus was just to play with him and teach him to keep his food on his tray. He even got bread crumbs in his mouth. WOW!




4 comments:

  1. There is a light at the end of the tunnel always. Way to go Nathan. Glad things seem a little bit brighter today. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have all learned that blogging is so much more than you first expect. I have grown so much in the past 6 months of blogging.

    I also have learned that the small steps are the most important ones. First bread crumbs then before you know it pizza!! :)
    Kelly W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you. The OT sounds brilliant. Here's to celebrating those tiny steps, that lead eventually to big steps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Nathan!! Sounds like he is doing fantastic! I am glad that things are better today. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete